At Locelle, we want to go Beyond Blackout Tuesday and learn, share and actively show up against racism. We are dedicating this page to our panel event we hosted as well as resources you can access.
PANEL EVENT RECORDING
On June 11, we hosted a panel event featuring two black women and one white woman with a biracial child on how they feel and their raw authentic yet different experiences. It was an incredible opportunity for non-Black people to listen, acknowledge, and be allies to our Black people and fight against racism.
RESOURCES TO READ AND WATCH
We have compiled a list of resources you can access and people to follow to ensure we continue to learn, acknowledge and actively take action against racism.
Resources and Articles online:
- https://civilrights.org/wp-content/uploads/Toolkit.pdf → “New Era of Public Safety. An Advocacy toolkit for fair, safe, and effective community policing”
Books to read:
- https://www.distractify.com/p/books-to-educate-yourself-blm “A Summer reading list for those looking to Educate themselves on the Black Lives Matter Movement”
- ‘The New Jim Crow’ by Michelle Alexander
- ‘How to be an Antiracist’ by Ibram X. Kendi
- ‘The colour of Law’ By Richard Rothstein
- ‘So you want to talk about race’ by Ijeoma Oluo
- ‘Between the World and Me’ by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- ‘When they call you a Terrorist. A black lives memoir’ by Patrisse Cullors and Asha Bandele
- ‘Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?: And other Conversations about Race’’ by Beverly Tatum
- ‘America’s Original Sin’ by Jim Wallis\
- ‘White Fragility’ by Robin DiAngelo
- ‘The Fire This Time’ edited by Jesmyn Ward
Things to watch (TV shows, Documentaries, Ted Talks etc.)
- https://tedx.stanford.edu/lineup/beverly-daniel-tatum – Ted Talk: Beverly Tatum
- ‘13th’, Ava DuVernay on Netflix
- ‘When they see us’, Ava Duvernay on Netflix
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7EZWBIPUUQ – Ted Talk: Ellis Fearon
Shareable Anti-racism resource guide:
Anti-racism resources for white people:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BRlF2_zhNe86SGgHa6-VlBO-QgirITwCTugSfKie5Fs/mobilebasic – Document compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein in May 2020.
Ways to Donate and help:
- how to financially help BLM with NO MONEY/leaving your house (Invest in the future for FREE) → “Ad-tivism” Zoe Amira.
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: Minnesota Freedom Fund
- Black Visions Collective: Black Visions Donations
- Reclaim the Block: Support Reclaim the Block
- Unicorn Riot: Donate
- George Floyd Memorial Fund: Official George Floyd Memorial Fund organized by Philonise Floyd
- Northstar Health Collective (Medical Supplies): Donate | Northstar Health Collective
- Black Lives Matter: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ms_blm_homepage_2019
- Justice for Regis Korchinski-Paquet: Fundraiser by Sherry DaCosta : Justice For Regis
- Black Lives Matter Toronto: BLM – TO – All Black Lives Matter
- The Bail Project: Donate Now | The Bail Project, Inc.
- Brooklyn Community Bail Fund:Donate — Brooklyn Community Bail Fund
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): Donate to the ACLU | American Civil Liberties Union
- Homeless Black Trans Women Fund: Homeless Black Trans women fund organized by Jesse Pratt López
- Twin Cities Recovery Project: Twin Cities Recovery Project, INC.
- Trans Emergency Release Fund: Emergency Release Fund: Home
- Free Them All 4 Public Health: Free Them All for Public Health – Free incarcerated people & keep everyone safe from COVID-19.
- Tony Mcdade Memorial Fund: In Memory of Tony Mcdade organized by Shani Angela
- Black Lives Matter Los Angeles: Black Lives Matter – Los Angeles organized by Melina Abdullah
- Mutual Aid Fund for Sex Workers of Colour: Mutual Aid Fund for Sex Workers of Color organized by Venus Cuffs
- Toronto Bail Fund: Toronto Protestor Bail Fund organized by STRAPPED TO
- Chicago Community Bond Fund: Donate
- Peoples City Council Freedom Fund Los Angeles: Peoples City Council Freedom Fund organized by Albert Corado
- Portland Protest Bail Fund: PDX Protest Bail Fund organized by Thursday Bram
- Northwest Community Bail Fund Seattle: Northwest Community Bail Fund |
Instagram Pages to follow!
Alicia Garza: Co-Founder of #blacklivesmatter movement
Opal Tometi: Co-Founder of #blacklivesmatter movement
Patrisse Khan-Cullors of #Blacklivesmatter movement